There are different types of dog training techniques to make sure that your dog will keep up with their leashes. However, you must also understand that you must choose the leash that is suited and fit for your dog. You can choose a variety of leashes: simple leashes, illusion collars and harness.
You have to choose a dog leash that is made of quality materials.
Nylon leash- it can be easily manipulated. It is also perfect for dog owners with low budget but still great in any weather condition. It doesn't stretch that much but has a normal stretch rate which should be minimal for a leather.
Cotton Web Leash- are standard leashes that you can buy in pet stores. Cotton is a soft material but has also the risk of rope burn. Cotton web leashes are excellent in water. They also come in a variety of colors.
Leather leash- it is a favorite material for dog leashes. It is a strong material but also soften with time. It is often sold through online stores. It is gentle on the hands. It is also often a status symbol.
Chain Leashes- it is a cheap choice and is less than desirable. It is hard on the hands and can take out a tooth of your dog. Chains are not recommended because it can harm your dog and can even harm you if you are walking a large dog.
Length and width matters because dogs can grow rapidly and short and narrow leash can't be effective.
- Shortest leash is about 1 ft long and should be used only for short control.
- Longer leash is about 4ft-6ft long. It gives more freedom to your dog but remains to be easy to handle. This is good if you are walking your dog in the park or wider plains.
- There are also leashes upto 150ft. It is used if you want to track your dog.
- The width of leashes for smaller dogs should be 3/8 or ½ inches wide. This works best for dog shows.
- The width of a leash for stronger and powerful dogs is ¾ inches wide.